Wednesday 14 February 2024

St Valentine Ashes


 Psalm 51


TO THE LEADER. A PSALM OF DAVID, WHEN THE PROPHET NATHAN CAME TO HIM, AFTER HE HAD GONE IN TO BATHSHEBA.


Have mercy on me, O God,

according to your steadfast love;

according to your abundant mercy

blot out my transgressions.

Wash me thoroughly from my iniquity,

and cleanse me from my sin.


On St Valentine’s Day Ash Wednesday 

I want to mark foreheads with ashes in the shape of hearts

To remind us that we are beloved of God

There are enough reminders of death and destruction

of evil and corruption that assault us at every turn.

Yet how can I speak of love without repentance?

Or belovedness without confession of all the ways 

that I am complicit in the poverty that stalks the world

as I hold on to an economy of scarcity

rather than embrace the abundance of God 

who created the world in love and in goodness.

And as I keep silent in the face of violence and injustice.

I need to be reminded of what love looks like

“You are redeemed by the cross of Christ”

I need to hear those words

and have a cross smudged on my forehead

to remind me of the length to which love goes

Like David, the Psalmist, 

confronted with his abuse of power

in violating Bathsheba

I, too, need to look my complicity in the eye 

and be reminded that it is only the kind of love that embraces a cross

that will bring hope and healing for the world

Confession

Repentance

A cross

Wrapped up in love.

These are the rites of Ash Wednesday


(Liz Crumlish Ash Wednesday 2024)


No comments:

Post a Comment

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed