Thursday 15 February 2024

Journeying with restlessness

 


John 8:10-11

Jesus straightened up and said to her, “Woman, where are they? Has no one condemned you?” She said, “No one, sir.” And Jesus said, “Neither do I condemn you. Go your way, and from now on do not sin again.”


Yesterday, I wanted Ash Wednesday to be different. I know that was about my needs as much as anyone else’s. I didn’t want to engage with “Remember you are dust and to dust you shall return” or with Matthew 6: “Beware of practicing your piety before others…”

And so, I decided to use the alternative words prescribed for Ash Wednesday “You are redeemed by the cross of Christ” and I read the alternative gospel - John 8 - Jesus absolving the woman caught in adultery.

There was something about, right at the beginning of Lent, choosing to practice confession, repentance and absolution in a different way. I wonder how that desire for difference will continue in this season? Often alternatives are not immediately obvious and require work to track down. Will I pursue that work? Will I continue to embrace the restlessness that refuses to settle for the old and familiar? 

Time will tell.

Watch this space…


“Woman, where are they?

Where are the accusers?

Where are those who judge?

Where are those who disparage?

Where are those who write off?

Where are those who apply different standards?

Where are those who underestimate?

Where are those who discriminate based on gender?

Where are those who apply rules selectively?

Where are those who condemn?

And Jesus said, “Neither do I condemn you”

And no matter how often others attempt to reinforce old ways

Still, we are redeemed by the Cross of Christ.



No comments:

Post a Comment

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed