Sunday 11 May 2008

Freeing Spirit

I told my congregation this morning that I was moving on to pastures new. It was difficult. I've lost a lot of sleep over it. But now, it feels as though a burden has been lifted. I can look forward to the move. I can release the excitement that is in me about the challenge that lies ahead. 
We have a funny system in the Church of Scotland: Congregations appoint a nominating committee to find a new minister and that committee eventually returns with a nomination. However the candidate so nominated has to preach at sunday worship and be voted on by the whole congregation. That event is two weeks away but notice was given of that this morning to the new congregation which is why I had to tell my folks rather than let them hear on the ever efficient church grapevine.
So its still too early to plan colour schemes and the like. But I can begin to look ahead and set about what remains for me to do here. The Spirit of Pentecost that brought the church to birth encourages it to grow and sets it free. May that freedom and growth take us to places we never dreamed of.

6 comments:

  1. You will be greatly missed but we have been blessed to have you as our Minister.

    ReplyDelete
  2. eek...liz, does this mean that if there was by any chance a mishearing of the Holy Spirit they could say "no thanks" and then you'd either have to stay, with people knowing you had felt called to move on....or have no clear route forward at all?
    Prayers with you through all this, anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kathryn - that's exactly it. One of these crazy church systems. Mind you its no surprise to folk that i want to move on. i'll keep you posted! And thanks for the prayers and encouragement.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Liz, sad to hear the news, I wish you and your family all the best for the future, you will be missed.

    GOD BLESS

    ReplyDelete
  5. An ending and a beginning. And the alpha and omega shall be with you in it all.

    Looking forward to hearing how it all pans out and hope you had the good sense to consider Aberdeenshire!

    Blessings.

    FBL

    ReplyDelete

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed