Friday 21 March 2008

Blood on the street

We took communion onto the streets again this Good Friday. Just reminding folk what day it was and offering them communion. Folk were more engaging this year than last and it was wonderful to be able to offer Christ to our community in such a powerful way. I'm sure we could get into all sorts of theological discussions about what we were doing and what we were offering but I love the simplicity of the love of Christ this Good Friday at work on the streets of Inverkip.
And, the snow stayed away until we were packing up. How good was that?!

4 comments:

  1. I've been involved in open air services on Good Friday, but never this. Good for you. Very brave!

    FBL

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad the weather was kind to you all.Guess the Clyde chill was around.Brrrrrrr.Those rolls sounded good right enough!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know this question comes years later, but I just found your blog! I love this idea and was wondering if you could provide more details? Did you use any kind of liturgy? How did you handle the words of institution? How/did your lay people participate? How long and what times did you offer Communion? How did you talk the shop owner into letting you do something so religious/Christian outside their store? And any other helps. I want to present an idea similar tot his to my Session for Good Friday this yer. I will of course credit you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. revmo Welcome!
    There's a bit more info in this post from the previous year: http://liz-vicarofdibley.blogspot.co.uk/2007/04/it-was-for-you.html
    Before we went out, I consecrated the elements with the volunteers who were with me.
    So, at the table, there were few formal words spoken - it was more conversations with people about their faith and their experience of the sacrament. No formal times either, just as opportunity arose.
    The volunteers, and myself, once we talked with folk, seven them communion if they wanted.
    We were a small community so I had built up a relationship with the shop owner.
    The words on the table read: it was for you. Take, eat.
    All fairly flexible and sitting quite loosely to tradition.
    Hope this is helpful.
    Blessings

    ReplyDelete

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed