Wednesday 18 September 2019

Reconciling love

Matthew 5:21-24
“You have heard that it was said to those of ancient times, ‘You shall not murder’; and ‘whoever murders shall be liable to judgment.’ But I say to you that if you are angry with a brother or sister, you will be liable to judgment; and if you insult a brother or sister, you will be liable to the council; and if you say, ‘You fool,’ you will be liable to the hell of fire. So when you are offering your gift at the altar, if you remember that your brother or sister has something against you, leave your gift there before the altar and go; first be reconciled to your brother or sister, and then come and offer your gift.


Lord, when I am tempted
to consider my virtues
rather than my vices
When I can readily take stock
of the good that  I do
conveniently overlooking
all the opportunities I miss
Remind me of your call
to reconcile
to restore
to repair
And break down
my walls of complacency
and my tendency to spin favourably
the difference I make
while completely forgetting
the harsh judgments I pronounce
in an instant
- the ways I consign others
to categories that confine
that leave no room for growth
or for change
and especially not
for redemption
Bring me back to you
so that, with the assurance 
of your encircling love
I may find compassion
for self and others
With the knowledge of your acceptance
may I expand my horizons
until the lines that I draw
are obliterated
by the incoming tide
of your grace
And, as I meet you at the altar
and feed on your abundance
may that love food
nourish every encounter
inform every decision
and sustain the flourishing
that is your will
for all of creation.

No comments:

Post a Comment

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed