Tuesday 20 August 2019

Patient, Persistent God

Judges 6:14-18
Then the Lord turned to him and said, “Go in this might of yours and deliver Israel from the hand of Midian; I hereby commission you.” He responded, “But sir, how can I deliver Israel? My clan is the weakest in Manasseh, and I am the least in my family.” The Lord said to him, “But I will be with you, and you shall strike down the Midianites, every one of them.” Then he said to him, “If now I have found favor with you, then show me a sign that it is you who speak with me. Do not depart from here until I come to you, and bring out my present, and set it before you.” And he said, “I will stay until you return.”

God, you don’t make it easy
Especially when we are slow on the uptake
In the depths of our doubt 
You shake up our complacency
When we despair of all that we see around us
You remind us of the power that we have 
to change the world
When we opt for an easier life
You won’t let us settle for less
than you call us to be
When we ask for a sign
You give us a whole shed load
so that, even with our eyes closed,
and our ear pods obscuring 
the sound of your voice
you find other ways
to make us sit up and take notice
You get beyond
what we can see
or hear
or even understand
And all those little cairns
that we have so carefully constructed
on our journey through life
the pieces we have brought
from this place
and from that
to build our little piles of solidity
You slowly erode
or sometimes sweep away
until we embrace the movement 
and rediscover the rhythm
of you, the God of Improv 
as you teach us new steps
and introduce us
to a whole new dance. 
And, best of all.
when we ask you to wait
for us to catch up
You remind us
that you have been sitting with us
all the time.
Patient, Persistent God

No comments:

Post a Comment

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed