Tuesday 6 April 2021

Noli me tangere (Do not hold on to me)


 John 20:16-17

Jesus said to her, “Mary!” She turned and said to him in Hebrew, “Rabbouni!” (which means Teacher). Jesus said to her, “Do not hold on to me, because I have not yet ascended to the Father. But go to my brothers and say to them, ‘I am ascending to my Father and your Father, to my God and your God.’ ”

It’s the most natural thing in the world
to want to hold on...
To hold on 
to whatever is in front of us
because who knows
what the future will bring
To hold on
to what we know
because we fear the unknown
To hold on
to what feels good
and to what brings challenge
because alternatives 
cause us to be anxious.
Jesus’ encounter with Mary
reminds us
that only by letting go
will we experience
whatever God offers next.
Only by letting go
will we be enabled
to follow
where Christ has gone
and experience
a new way of being
that comes from letting go.
God, enable me
to be present in every moment
To take my cues from you
To discern what is mine to do
and to let go of those things
that do not further your kingdom
And, in the releasing
or relinquishing
may I know 
growth not loss
peace and not yearning
and the sheer joy of assurance
that I continue to do your will
becoming exactly 
who you created me to be
For that is enough
I am enough
Noli me tangere

No comments:

Post a Comment

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed