Friday 26 March 2021

Feisty women at the feast




As I take and tear bread

passing it around those who are gathered

Just then is the moment

Just there is the place

that I connect most deeply

with that great communion of saints

I see them in every corner

peering over the heads of the gathered worshippers

keeking through the spaces between couples

snuggled up beside those who are on their own

I see them gossiping in the aisles

nudging one another 

all crowding in to get a better look

And that’s when it hits me

My cloud of witnesses is comprised entirely of women

And these are the women I long to break bread with:

Shiphrah and Puah, the Hebrew midwives

who birthed a nation

Mahlah, Noah, Hoglah, Milcah and Tizzah, the daughters of Zelophehad

who changed the law

Jael, skilled with a tent peg and mallet

Bathsheba and Michal, inveigled by the same man

Photini, the woman at the well - who gave as good as she got

I’m sure you get the drift

I want to feast with the badass women

the ones who refused to conform 

who persisted

who made a difference

With that kind of line up leading the way

Why oh why do we still have to fight for a place at the table

Patriarchy is such a bitch!


 

1 comment:

  1. I like that. I have also always liked the fact that when the book of the Law is discovered in 2 Kings 22, all the religious bigwigs head off to Huldah the prophetess. I often wonder what else she said that didn't get recorded [by men].

    ReplyDelete

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed