Wednesday 17 April 2019

Surely not I?



Matthew 26:20-22
When it was evening, he took his place with the twelve; and while they were eating, he said, “Truly I tell you, one of you will betray me.” And they became greatly distressed and began to say to him one after another, “Surely not I, Lord?”



We too would have protested:
Not, I, Lord
Still protest
While we betray our Lord
at every turn.
Withholding 
bread from the hungry
love from the unloved
freedom from those imprisoned
by circumstances that we help create
Turning a blind eye 
to the plight of our neighbour
and the earth we inhabit
Distancing ourselves
from justice
when it demands too much of us.
Betrayal lurks at every turn
pervades our every day.
Yet still
Christ calls us his friends,
looks on us with love
shares a cup with us
and shows us how to love
and serve one another
as he loves
and served us.

No comments:

Post a Comment

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed