Saturday 22 February 2014

Perfect







A heated “discussion” with God, a.k.a. a rant.
A response to the gospel Matthew 5 : 38-48

Right, God,
what do you mean “it’s not enough”?
How much more do you want?
I’m the first to put my hand in my pocket when anyone asks for help.
Or to volunteer some time or effort.
I pass on my old clothes to the charity shop and my old vacuum cleaners
to the church.*
I uphold the law impeccably,
I am fair, I am just,
I do not get riled,
I walk away from confrontation. If someone rips me off,
I put it down to experience,
I don’t seek revenge.
If someone vents on me,
I try to put it down
to them having a bad day,
I tell myself that their abusing me is saving someone else
from similar treatment.
And now you’re telling me that all this is not enough?
How can you, from your lofty position, far removed from reality,
ask for any more for me?
Have you ever been hit on by beggars at every turn?
Or by folk wanting your time and your attention constantly?
Have you ever had to stand your ground and argue the toss?
Have you ever been wrongly accused?
Or beaten and abused by those who should know better?
Have you ever been let down by those whom you thought were your friends?
Whoa!
I think I can see where you’re coming from. I’m not sure I like it much.
But you want us to be like Jesus, don’t you? And that means all this... And more!
“Be perfect... as your Heavenly Father is perfect.”


* Why do churches become the repositories for old vacuum cleaners?


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

No comments:

Post a Comment

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed