Tuesday 20 October 2009

In sickness and in health

Married a lifetime
rubbing along together easily
instinctively knowing the other's thoughts
predicting their every need
sharing unconscious intimacies
that come naturally
through sharing so much
from the springtime of youth
to the autumn of age.
Settling comfortably
into a pattern
that is at once
familiar and love filled.
And then a brain attack
creeps in insidiously,
uninvited
certainly not welcome
and changes the whole fabric of life
the being
the doing
all the mechanics of everyday
irrevocably disturbed.
But not the love.
A love so deep
cannot be undermined
or weakened
No catastrophe
can reach in
and steal.
Even sadness
and pain
cannot erode
a channel of love
furrowed so deep
through the years.
What a privilege to witness
such love and such caring
such selfless giving
Something so real
it can withstand the strain.
That is the power of love.

4 comments:

  1. Hey Liz. Hope you're doing well. It's been a long time since I stopped by.

    This post reminds me of the beginning of 'Up'. Have you seen it? Probably the best opening 10 minutes of an animated movie I've ever seen and a poignant reminder that there is so much backstory to peoples' lives we just don't know.

    Just flagging up that I'm back and blogging a little again - it'd be good to have you drop in.

    Blessings

    FBL

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, it's so good to see you around again. I'll certainly drop by. I've moved parish now and folk have mentioned that my blog is a lot more upbeat. Yesterday's post I wrote after spending time with two different families dealing with the devastating effects of strokes.
    I've not seen Up yet, but lot's of friends have raved about it so, hopefully I'll fit it in soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. If you have time, follow this link to some work by a colleague of ours, Malcolm Ramsay, in Pitlochry. A couple of poignant pastoral poems which I'm sure you'll relate to.

    I met Malcolm recently at Pluscarden on a few days retreat with Eugene Peterson. It was a rare treat and good company to be in.


    http://issuu.com/j.hudson/docs/markings_27issu

    ReplyDelete
  4. Forgot to say his poems are on page 136 and 137 I think.

    ReplyDelete

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed