Thursday 10 April 2014

Watching and waiting



John 8:48-59
The Jews answered him, “Are we not right in saying that you are a Samaritan and have a demon?” Jesus answered, “I do not have a demon; but I honor my Father, and you dishonor me. Yet I do not seek my own glory; there is one who seeks it and he is the judge. Very truly, I tell you, whoever keeps my word will never see death.” The Jews said to him, “Now we know that you have a demon. Abraham died, and so did the prophets; yet you say, ‘Whoever keeps my word will never taste death. ’ Are you greater than our father Abraham, who died? The prophets also died. Who do you claim to be?” Jesus answered, “If I glorify myself, my glory is nothing. It is my Father who glorifies me, he of whom you say, ‘He is our God,’ though you do not know him. But I know him; if I would say that I do not know him, I would be a liar like you. But I do know him and I keep his word. Your ancestor Abraham rejoiced that he would see my day; he saw it and was glad.” Then the Jews said to him, “You are not yet fifty years old, and have you seen Abraham?” Jesus said to them, “Very truly, I tell you, before Abraham was, I am.” So they picked up stones to throw at him, but Jesus hid himself and went out of the temple.

The forces gather
Authorities conspire
Time is running out for Jesus
Accused of being possessed
Almost stoned for speaking truth
that folks could not comprehend.
Forced out of the temple
and out of the city
while plots are hatched
to bring about his death.
On a crash course
with saving the world
And nothing will save him now
from the cruel death that awaits him
For the kingdom of which he spoke
was too far outside the realms
of human imagination.
Only realised
by his sacrifice of love.
Even the brief respite
of being hailed as a king
as he enters the city
to celebrate Passover
will not turn the tide
that is set against him.
And so we wait 
and watch
as the story unfolds.
And still we condone
persecution of those who are different
and oppression of those
who speak truth
that we don't want to hear today.
And we wait
and we watch.
 


No comments:

Post a Comment

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed