Friday 25 October 2019

Reflecting forgiveness



Looking ahead to Sunday’s gospel.

Luke 18:9-14

The Parable of the Pharisee and the Tax Collector
He also told this parable to some who trusted in themselves that they were righteous and regarded others with contempt: “Two men went up to the temple to pray, one a Pharisee and the other a tax collector. The Pharisee, standing by himself, was praying thus, ‘God, I thank you that I am not like other people: thieves, rogues, adulterers, or even like this tax collector. I fast twice a week; I give a tenth of all my income.’ But the tax collector, standing far off, would not even look up to heaven, but was beating his breast and saying, ‘God, be merciful to me, a sinner!’ I tell you, this man went down to his home justified rather than the other; for all who exalt themselves will be humbled, but all who humble themselves will be exalted.”


Lord, remind me
that following you
is not a competitive sport
My sin is not diminished 
because I deem another’s sin as greater
My perceived righteousness 
does not lessen 
my need of your grace.
Once again
You queer our binary world
pitching up with grace 
In the prayer of confession
and in your words of absolution 
may I experience your grace 
as powerfully
and as vitally
as in the gift of the Eucharist.
Let the experience of your forgiveness
change the way I encounter others
softening those hard edges
that make me quick to judge 
smoothing out the abrasions
that foster harshness
May the knowledge of your infinite, healing love
encourage me to risk being hurt
again and again
as I live into
that part of you that dwells in me
and connects with your image in others.
May humility consist in recognising
the sheer wonder of  your creation 
shining through us
bringing glory to you
And may we live into 
and live out of 
the  forgiveness we receive
from you.

1 comment:

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed