Saturday 28 September 2019

The Lord restores my soul

 

He heals and reintegrates my broken depths in his eternal life

Reflecting today on Dallas Willard’s paraphrase of “He restores my soul” from Psalm 23. (Life Without Lack; Thomas Nelson 2019)



He heals and reintegrates my broken depths in his eternal life

There are days when it feels
as though I am fragmented
So many pieces of myself
being given
in so many directions 
And not all who demand
are careful with the pieces offered
or appreciative of the gift received
Yet to withhold
would diminish me
And, after a while
I am left
to gather up the discarded shards
and try to fit them together
to make a whole
But as I sit there
with my complex jigsaw puzzle
I become aware
of God
at my shoulder
Isn’t that always the way
when we’re trying to complete a jigsaw
that someone will appear
to help or advise
But God just stands beside me
not interfering
or directing
just patiently 
and companionably waiting
until I’m satisfied
that all the pieces are slotted 
back into place
albeit that some are now
a bit tarnished
a bit rough round the edges
God waits
And I feel God’s hand in mine
as I smooth my hands over
the incomplete picture
and as I poke my fingers
where pieces are missing
And God does not join me
in a frantic search
to recover the missing pieces
or to fill in the gaps 
God continues to sit with me
gazing in love
at a less than pristine picture
that shows all the signs
of wounds 
and scars
gaping holes
toned down hues
that once were vibrant
and even some still shiny fragments
and in God’s loving gaze
I am reminded
I am loved
just the way I am
and in God’s eyes
all of those pieces
speak of a journey
into wholeness
accompanied by the rhythm
of the beating heart of God
And when I sit back
and listen
I hear God whisper
and know
I am enough 

(Liz Crumlish 2019)

No comments:

Post a Comment

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed