Thursday 5 September 2019

Generosity and call

Luke 5:8-11
But when Simon Peter saw it, he fell down at Jesus’ knees, saying, “Go away from me, Lord, for I am a sinful man!” For he and all who were with him were amazed at the catch of fish that they had taken; and so also were James and John, sons of Zebedee, who were partners with Simon. Then Jesus said to Simon, “Do not be afraid; from now on you will be catching people.” When they had brought their boats to shore, they left everything and followed him.

Leaving everything
That’s some commitment
Leaving everything
That’s a step too far
Leaving everything
For what?
A leap into the unknown
where nothing is guaranteed?
- even though there’s no reason to question
the generosity already shown.
Do not be afraid?
I don’t think so!
Not when your call
disrupts and disturbs
and brings to light
all that we lack
 - the depths of our unworthiness
-/the shallowness of our trust
- even transferable skills!
I’ll just sit here in the boat
and listen
I’m no Simon 
I’ll lend you my boat 
I’ll even get my toes wet
but no swimming for me
Yet even as I protest
Even as I make my half hearted response
You are waiting on the beach
as though you have all the time in the world
your arms are open wide
there’s a smile on your face
And I just know
I’m about to get in 
way above my head.
Thanks, Lord.



No comments:

Post a Comment

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed