Saturday 13 July 2019

Running from...

Jonah 1:1-3
Jonah Tries to Run Away from God
Now the word of the Lord came to Jonah son of Amittai, saying, “Go at once to Nineveh, that great city, and cry out against it; for their wickedness has come up before me.” But Jonah set out to flee to Tarshish from the presence of the Lord. He went down to Joppa and found a ship going to Tarshish; so he paid his fare and went on board, to go with them to Tarshish, away from the presence of the Lord.

Often, God
I think I know how Jonah felt
Wanting to run away
Anywhere - out of your sight
Away from the tasks to which you call
Avoiding the challenges you present
Cast adrift in a boat
in the vastness of the sea (any sea)
seems quite appealing right now
It’s not that I don’t love you (I do)
It’s not that I don’t want to serve (I do)
But sometimes the love and the service
are simply not enough
Sometimes even owning my identity-
beloved of God
doesn’t ease the churning in my gut
as I strive to follow your call
speaking truth to power 
dismantling patriarchy
constantly being an irritant 
(and other assorted small endeavours!)
God, why do these tasks seem futile
and isolating?
How, in the midst of these
might I find hope?
Where, in the sea of opposition
might I find allies?
How can I be convinced 
that I am enough for all that you ask?
And where might I discover once more
your divine humour
laughing at my attempts to run
reminding me
that you are God
and I am not!!!
Show me again
how to take myself less seriously
and chill 
as you wrap your arms around me
until I feel the shaking of your mirth
holding me close
keeping me from running
then setting me free
to walk closer to you.
And not to run.

1 comment:

  1. God bless you, support you, uplift you, strengthen you and keep you relaxed enough to smile and laugh as you ask each day for guidance on how best to go about your special mission. Love and thanks from Kathleen

    ReplyDelete

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed