Saturday 13 April 2019

Emptying ourselves

Philippians 2:5-8
Let the same mind be in you that was in Christ Jesus,
who, though he was in the form of God,
did not regard equality with God
as something to be exploited,
but emptied himself,
taking the form of a slave,
being born in human likeness.
And being found in human form,
he humbled himself
and became obedient to the point of death—
even death on a cross.

How often is my humility false?
Put on for effect?
What about those times
I use the fact
that I am created in God’s image
as a defence
or as a counter to others’ disdain?
And when have I exploited 
the status God bestows on me
to justify my actions
to stand my ground
in the face of perceived injustice?
All of this might seem acceptable
might appear necessary
might even be applauded
in smashing patriarchy.
And yet
It is not the way of Christ.
Christ, who humbled himself
Who was obedient
to the point of death.
And so I must own
that there are times
I do not want
to be like Christ.
Mea culpa!

No comments:

Post a Comment

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed