Thursday 6 April 2017

Still more to do...

Luke 13:31-35
The Lament over Jerusalem
At that very hour some Pharisees came and said to him, “Get away from here, for Herod wants to kill you.” He said to them, “Go and tell that fox for me, ‘Listen, I am casting out demons and performing cures today and tomorrow, and on the third day I finish my work. Yet today, tomorrow, and the next day I must be on my way, because it is impossible for a prophet to be killed outside of Jerusalem.’ Jerusalem, Jerusalem, the city that kills the prophets and stones those who are sent to it! How often have I desired to gather your children together as a hen gathers her brood under her wings, and you were not willing! See, your house is left to you. And I tell you, you will not see me until the time comes when you say, ‘Blessed is the one who comes in the name of the Lord.’ ”

No slacking for Jesus
Even with the end in sight
he took no prisoners
refused to divert his course
but ploughed on
delivering, healing
accomplishing
all that he came to do
before setting his face toward Jerusalem
the city that lay in wait
to dispatch him
as it dispatched others .
And, even though he had a notion
of the fate that awaited him there
Jesus was moved with compassion
over a city
and a people
who had lost their way.
Compassion that saw beyond his own dire straits
to go on caring for others.
Blessed is the one who comes in the name of the Lord

No comments:

Post a Comment

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed