Thursday 5 May 2016

Ascension

Jesus said to them, “Come and have breakfast.” (Like 21:12)
It's not often these days that I get to consecrate bread and wine and serve communion to others - so that makes it all the more special (for me) when I do. I celebrated with colleagues this morning.
It was only after the service that I realised that today is the day we celebrate Ascension.
I'm still in Easter - and I want to stay there.
I want to linger with Jesus on the beach in all his post resurrection woundedness and vulnerability.
I want to hear more of his teaching, more of his affirmation. I want to share food with him, physically and spiritually. I want to hear him call me, knowing all my weaknesses. I just want to sit awhile at his feet, hang out, soaking up his wisdom.
But today is a day to step up and to step into the role to which Jesus calls and commissions. To step out, not alone, but in all the companionship he offers, surrounded by the Spirit that he leaves to empower and equip.
Acts 1:8-11
But you will receive power when the Holy Spirit has come upon you; and you will be my witnesses in Jerusalem, in all Judea and Samaria, and to the ends of the earth.” When he had said this, as they were watching, he was lifted up, and a cloud took him out of their sight. While he was going and they were gazing up toward heaven, suddenly two men in white robes stood by them. They said, “Men of Galilee, why do you stand looking up toward heaven? This Jesus, who has been taken up from you into heaven, will come in the same way as you saw him go into heaven.”
Ascension is a day to leave the beach behind and walk the road in the wake of Christ, called, equipped, sent.

No comments:

Post a Comment

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed