Tuesday 7 June 2011

Broken for you...

I had the privilege this weekend of celebrating communion in the two parishes I've been serving as interim moderator.
I celebrated in three different sanctuaries on Sunday but, in each, I was behind the communion table and it was left to elders to distribute the elements among the congregation. Today, however, in the intimacy of a sheltered housing complex in the parish, it was good to get "up close and personal" with folk as the sacrament was shared. Helping gnarled, arthritic fingers select a piece of bread. Assisting trembling hands to grasp a cup of wine. This felt like communion, honouring the whole church in heaven and on earth.

3 comments:

  1. Liz: it is wonderful to hear such positive feelings and comments about being in among frail older people~so often seen as a burden rather than special, in our broken society, yet you shared and delighted in something of the sacred nature of sharing communion with souls, many of whom will be awaiting their call home. Amazing grace. Blessed indeed:~)x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Liz the service at the sheltered housing complex was a great experience. As was spending the time afterwards chatting and reminiscing with the residents about their experiences. I really felt priveleged to be part of this service thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I felt I was there in communion with you all. On a lighter note, I'm feeling a chocolate fountain in our future :-)

    ReplyDelete

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed