Tuesday 5 August 2008

Out of the comfort zone

I've never lived or worked in a locality with which I am not familiar. So this move down the coast presents something of a challenge. Even a trip to the grocery store requires the help (or hindrance) of sat nav. Its the weirdest feeling, one minute wildly exciting and the next, really scary.
Tonight, the Presbytery of Ayr will induct me to my new charge - and then the challenge really begins.
Working with a whole team of folk who speak, not a different language, hopefully, but certainly a different dialect!
Getting to know each other and forging a way forward together.
I know that the Holy Spirit has nudged me to journey this far, how can I imagine that she will abandon me now?
Even the blind alleys and wrong turns have their purpose, especially in a strange landscape. There is the opportunity to explore and encounter something new and wonderful and all the better for being unexpected.
And so today I entrust myself and my family, not to the guiding voice of Darth Vadar who provides the instructions on my sat nav, but to the whisper of a God who knew me as I was being formed in my mother's womb, who loves me unconditionally and who calls me now to trust and follow where God leads.
The God of Abraham, Isaac and Jacob still calls people out of their comfort zones, sends us on journeys and walks beside us all the way.
Exciting or what?

3 comments:

  1. Hello Liz,
    Tuesday night was such a delight, Everybody was great, but May Bell was excellent.
    I could see that you enjoyed yourself.
    As I was leaving one of your new congregation commented that 'you are like a breath of fresh air, just what the church needed.'

    Good luck and many blessings

    Andy Mc

    ReplyDelete
  2. Andy,
    I really appreciated you being there and, as you noticed, I loved it. Thanks too for your constant encouragement, a ministry you are good at.
    blessings
    Liz

    ReplyDelete
  3. Liz, every blessing in your new charge. Castlehill Church was the first place I ever preached as a fearful and trembling first year student doing pulpit supply (now I am a fearful and trembling probationer!!) the people were so generous towards me then and on the subsequent occasions I did supply for them, the church has a special place in my heart.

    I don't ever regret taking this journey beyond my comfort zone... it is always exciting... And God always finds new ways of amazing me :-)

    Blessings
    Dorothy

    ReplyDelete

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed