Sunday 8 June 2008

Celebrating?


Worship was sooo difficult this morning. Its the last time I will celebrate communion with the whole congregation. Pretty moving stuff. As she left, one lady said she was really sorry to see me go. I responded that I was too. But she claimed that I couldn't really be all that sorry or I would stay. What do you do with that sort of logic? Just because I hate to leave, just because its painful doesn't mean that I shouldn't follow God's call and the challenge of something new where my gifts are required- and desired- in a way that they are not here. If I'd known how painful leaving was going to be I'd probably never have found the courage to do it. Fortunately God found other ways to nudge me on, even though that too brought its share of hurt. I'm looking forward to the change, but not dealing very well right now with the transition. 3 more Sundays to run the gauntlet! And counting.

4 comments:

  1. I wept my way through my final Eucharist at St M's...it didn't mean that I wasn't thrilled to be moving on, but oh, saying goodbye hurt so much. I think the relationship between a congregation and their priest is so very intense, it's impossible not to feel as if you are having your heart surgicallyr removed without anaesthetic when parting comes.
    Praying for you in all this x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Liz! I've said it before & I'll say it again - I am really sorry to see you go but you go with my absolute blessing & support. I remember you saying in a previous blog that there comes a time when no matter how painful it is, there are times when we have to say goodbye to things or people we love. You DO have the strength to get through this & although it may not feel like it right now, you are doing the right thing. Big hug & hope you have time for a few drinks before you go! xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my goodness, Liz, I've been away from here for too long. Look what is happening. You are sad and you are leaving your congregation - how I wish I could give you a tight, deep-breath hug!

    I know you've been having a struggle. I'm excited to see how God uses you in the future, happy for the people who 'get' you in your new setting, whatever it may be.

    Kind thoughts, gentle wishes, and sincere prayers for you, dear sister Liz.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Girlfriends,
    thanks for your encouragement and support. The blog, for me is a good way to share and process all this but it probably means some painful reading for a while - till I get to the other side. thanks for sharing the journey.
    Liz

    ReplyDelete

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed