Tuesday 19 February 2008

Rocky road



I wish folk would just let me get on with my job! That seems to be a constant refrain for me just now. It seems I can't get down to "real ministry" for tripping over minutiae that I don't need to be doing. And yet, if I don't take care of these things, they'll come back and bite me. I've blogged before about how, often, ministry is to be found in the distractions of our everyday but these particular distractions are not healthy. They arise from petty complaints and niggles and from years of neglect. So its important that they don't go unresolved any longer. But they are so draining on energy and goodwill and on love. And that's quite tragic. I need other sorts of distractions, good ones, to keep me going. This morning I was reading of Jeremiah being left to fester in the well and of the friends who came and helped him out, taking care that they didn't exacerbate his pain in doing so. That's what I need - a way out that won't just make things worse. Trusting, trusting, trusting - with gritted teeth.

3 comments:

  1. Beautiful photo of the hope of spring.

    Wouldn't it be nice if one could sort of swipe a metaphorical arm across the table of life and brush all those niggling leftover things away and start fresh.

    Ah, but there must be some purpose for them. But what?

    I wish I could pamper you, Liz, refresh you somehow. If thoughts could do it, you'd feel light as a feather and burden-free right now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maybe the "distractions" are where the real ministry happens?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cherie,
    Bless you, I feel pampered by your good wishes.

    No, Iain. Not these distractions. These are energy sapping mind numbing petty concerns that are more about power struggles than about the love of God.

    ReplyDelete

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed